Symptoms of Covid-19
Dear Parents and Carers
In addition to the risk of Covid-19, we have to contend with the usual, seasonal coughs and colds! As the symptoms can appear similar, please note that the following are symptoms of Covid-19:
- A high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- A new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough it may be worse than normal)
- A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Most people with coronavirus have at least 1 of these symptoms
- The person affected MUST self-isolate for at least 10 days and all other members of the household must self-isolate for 14 days.
- The person with symptoms needs to have a Covid-19 test.
- If they test negative, if they feel well and no longer have symptoms similar to coronavirus (COVID-19), they can stop self-isolating.
- They could still have another virus, such as a cold or flu – in which case it is still best to avoid contact with other people until they are better.
- Other members of their household can stop self-isolating.
- If someone tests positive, they should follow the guidance for households with possible or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection and must self-isolate for at least 10 days from the onset of their symptoms and then return to the setting only if they do not have symptoms other than cough or loss of sense of smell or taste. This is because a cough or anosmia can last for several weeks once the infection has gone.
- The 10-day period starts from the day when they first became ill. If they still have a high temperature, they should keep self-isolating until their temperature returns to normal.
- Other members of their household should continue self-isolating for the full 14 days.
- If you or your child only have symptoms for short period of time, such as 1 day, you must isolate for at least 10 days and only return prior to school if your child or you have received a negative test result and feel well.
Tests for Covid-19 can be booked in the following way:
- Tests can be booked online through the NHS testing and tracing for coronavirus website , or ordered by telephone via NHS 119 for those without access to the internet.
- We have been advised that testing slots are opened at 10am for the same afternoon or 8pm for tests the following morning.
Please contact the school if you are having difficulty obtaining a test